Saturday, August 2, 2008

It´s like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

What a crazy week! I am in the bus station in Loja right now, waiting before my 14 hour ride back to Quito. The ride here was fine...just really long and way too reminiscent of those long band bus rides in high school. When we got to Quito last Saturday, a bunch of us got together to see the new Batman movie. Which was incredible! Definitely recommend it; so nice to have an ¨American¨afternoon.

Chris and I got to Zamora on Monday and met up with a volunteer who has been here since May. Katie, who is from Pittsburgh, is a natural resources volunteer for the city of Zamora. She is a self-proclaimed bird nerd and wrote her master´s thesis on a species of birds. So Katie took us on various walks throughout the city, spotting birds along the way. Zamora is known as the city of aves y cascadas (birds and waterfalls) and it definitely doesn´t lack either. We went on a huge hike through the Podocarpus National Park, which was incredible. There is so much vegetation everywhere, we really felt like were in the jungle.

Tuesday we departed for our sites---I went to Yantzaza and Chris went to Guaysimi. I was so freakin nervous, but really excited at the same time. I met my counterpart, Dra. Monica Guaya, at the Hospital de Yantzaza. It´s the second biggest hopsital in the province with a decent amount of resources. My job will be working with hospital employees and educating local high schools on sexual and reproductive rights. Teen pregnancy is a problem in this area, so it will be a lot charlas and devising creative campaigns.

I am also living with Monica and her family. Her husband, Polivio, is a miner and they have a 4 year-old-daughter, Valeria, who is a real pistol. Monica also has an 11-year-old daughter, Micaela, who is really quiet but is slowly warming up to me. We have to cross a crazy bridge to get to our house, over the Zamora River. Extremely scary, but I´m learning to like it with time.

I also went to Zumbi the town over to see what my job will be. It is with FODI, the Fondo de Desarallo Infantil, which is like a social work organization for children 0-5 years and their families. It´s a crazy group of women, one man in the office, but they are all really excited to have me as a volunteer. We spent the day yesterday cruising around the canton (county) in a camioneta, picking up furniture from closed FODI centers. It was an incredible ride...kinda felt like I was in Jurassic Park at times.

My legs got eaten by the mosquitoes, but remembered to take my Malaria meds...so I should be good. Oh and the delicacy here is frog legs...no more cuy!
As for the title...we were riding in the camioneta and the women said I looked like Snow White (BlancaNieves) and her seven dwarves with the other workers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whistle while you work.....so glad to continue hearing your great stories. Stay safe. xoxo

Anonymous said...

You are much bolder than I am for admitting you were in high school band, Corrie.

Anonymous said...

very cool miss corrie! just wanted to let you know that I will be visiting your fam in a couple weeks and will be reclaiming 'MY' room :) haha miss u bunches... thanks for the bday wishes!

Anonymous said...

That's funny that they think you're like Snow White cuz Gracie and I watched it at your house! Quinkie-dink? I think so. And be careful with those frog legs, I heard they can still bouce around in stomachs! jk.
XOXOXOX,
Anna