Monday, August 25, 2008

I seriously didn´t think the sun was going to rise...

Well--yesterday was by far the most exciting day I have had here.

We started off with a despidida party for everyone and their host families. We ordered a big chancho (pig) and had the typical Ecuadorian side dishes of corn and potatoes. In the morning, Sonia helped me make some coffee cake-things, which was super nice. So we rushed off, did the whole par-tay thang and then quickly returned home(with an entire plate of food they wanted to bring home for the family...it´s traditional to do so). It was a nice way to honor the families and show them our appreciation...a little awkward when three girls from my omnibus got up and did the Soldier Boy dance. The looks on everyone´s faces was priceless...they didn´t understand it all, but hey, we were just sharing culture, man.

Once we got home, all of us piled into the camioneta (my last vuelta with them!) and the two girl cousins, Domini and the guagua, came too. We drove to Tabacundo, the next town over, to see this incredible lake that has amazing scenery and it is spectacular. It started to rain as we were driving, but that didn´t seem to be an issue---at the time.

Juan decided that we needed to get a closer look, however, I noticed the roads were pretty bad and advised that what I had seen was bastante and we didn´t need to go further. But no, the machismo kicked in and he decided to drive through. And guess what....we got stuck.

For the entire night...and most of this morning.

We got stuck while it was raining, the tires were spinning but nothing was catching. Sonia was not a happy camper, but got out and tried to help him. Several meandering travelers attempted to help push the truck out of the mud, but with no avail. I got out, in my dress and sandals, to help too but it was a lost cause.

Then the sun set. And we finally were able to push it out with the help of a group of Jehovah´s Witnesses (I kid you not) and their Toyota 4X4. We were free! At this point, Domini and the guagua had left with another car, as we were afraid we were going to be stuck all night and there was no way a 1-year-old was going to sit in a car all night.

We drove to a clearing and then Juan decided we should try and drive to the end of the point and turn around. Bad idea, Juan. We got stuck...again. And this time for good. So after a lot of laughs, watching me fall in the mud and flail around like a cucaracha, we ate some potato chips and white bread donated by the Jehovah´s Witnesses. It was a real experience trying to sleep in a car with 4 other people. We made some trips throughout the night the light a fire and dry our clothes and stay warm...it was cold!

When the sun rose at 6 am, I never thought I would be so happy to see daylight. I seriously didn´t think the sun was going to rise. Finally we received cell phone service and Tio Luis came and dug us out, literally. The abuelito and cousin came too, and let me tell you, that abuelito is one of the fittest old men I´ve ever seen (including you, Dad). So from 7 am to 11 am, we were digging and driving our way back to Ayora because the roads were so bad.

Despite the mud, hunger and exhaustion, this was an incredible adventure. I´ve never had so much fun roughing it before. My family was awesome too because even all this crazy stuff happened, they were laughing and having a blast the whole time! The thing they kept saying was, at least we´re alive and at least we´re together. And that just makes so much sense.

Ginger, who is definitely my favorite, said to me at one point, smiling and with mud all over her face, ¨Asi es la vida en el campo, Corrie¨(This is what life is like in the campo). She said it in such a serious tone, it was so funny. But she, at 10-years-old, even had a good perspective on things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Corrie, that stinks about the mud. But after reading your story, I couldn't help but wonder why didn't you call AAA?

Nice shout out to DVA, too. I liked it.

Anonymous said...

i agree with uncle scott... where was AAA when you needed them! haha

Anonymous said...

Hey Cor-Cor!
Sounds like a perfect adventure! I'm glad you're safe. A million hugs and kisses (xoxoxoxoxoxo)
-Anna