Friday, August 29, 2008

Sworn-In

WOO HOO! I am now an official United States Peace Corps Volunteer!

So exciting...we woke up this morning and got all dolled up to arrive at the Ambassador´s residence. Heather Hodges, the new Ambassador, just arrived 3 weeks ago and we are her first Omnibus to be sworn in. She is also from Cleveland...which is crazy. What a small world.

But it was super foggy so we couldn´t really see anything, but it´s on some beautiful property...huge lawn. It even has clay tennis courts and a trampoline! (Didn´t get to see the trampoline....) But after some speeches and formal presentations of people, we took an official oath and became official PCVs. Each person was called up for a certificate and a hearty handshake from the ambassador.

Tonight there will be some crazy par-tays in the Mariscol (party section of Quito). A bunch of volunteers from past Omnibuses came up for the party too, which is cool to meet new people.

Now I have to figure out how I´m going to carry my 50+ lb. duffle, backpack, small duffle, and yet another duffle onto the bus. Luckily Peace Corps pays for us to buy two tickets and we can take our bags on the bus.

I got my cell phone! Here is my new number and how you can call from the US:
593-9-794-8642
I also received my new address. I am not sure how it will work out, so if you just want to send a letter as a test run, that might be better before sending larger items (there are no numbers in my address....)
Corrie van Amerongen
Cuerpo de Paz
Correo Central
Yantzaza, Zamora
Ecuador
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers and support during these 10 weeks! I definitely believed it helped. Now starts the next part of my journey...

4 comments:

Kristi said...

corrie corrie corrie!! congrats!! this is so exciting! and i got your letter, which was also exciting and wonderful and made me miss you all the more!

Anonymous said...

Congrats cuz! i knew you could survive! jk
lol (lots-of-love),
Anna Grace

Wolfman109 said...

Corrie is the awesomest person in the world! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Wolfman109 said...

wolfman109 is Jack Woepke