Sunday, August 2, 2009

Honk if you like Ecuador!

I have been fortunate enough this week to receive my THIRD American visitor....Señor Daniel Brian Weitz. After our adventures together at Maryland, Dan decided he wanted to continue the good times and come on down South of the Border.

Last Sunday night he arrived late in to Guayaquil, which was nice as I had the day to rest up after the exhausting night bus. Guayaquil was in fiestas that weekend, surprise surprise, and I went out with my friend Kristin the night before to experience the sights. Tons of fireworks, open flames on the streets, and probably the most amount of people I have ever seen. Being the largest city in Ecuador, with almost 3 million people, Guayaquil grows even larger during fiestas.

Anyway, I managed to find this really cute, artsy hostel on the Malécon, or riverwalk, in Guayaquil. We stayed in the ¨Green Room¨ and now Dan remembers what verde means (he is slowly but surely picking up Spanish phrases....his favorite is chuchaki which is hungover, but never seems to get it right....)

We explored Guayaquil on Monday, the riverwalk, climbed 500 steps to a lighthouse that overlooks the whole city, and had a great grilled steak dinner. Guayaquil turned out to be quite delightful despite its somewhat notorious reputation.

Then we took a three hour bus ride to a sleepy beach town on the coast. It was cute, but unfortunately the weather really sucked so it was cold and cloudy the whole time. They did have a ton of restaurants and bars so we got to experience some nightlife.

Wednesday night we took a night bus to Loja and then took a bus to Vilcabamba. Vilca turned out to have really nice weather, with its rolling mountainsides and hippy mountain feel, Dan surely got a taste for the different lifestyles on the Coast and the Sierra. We decided to go for a hike up this mountain, Mondango. In order to get up, we had to pay a buck fifty to get into the property, yet no one was answering the bell. A neighbor was like just go on in, so we hopped the barbwire fence and hiked up this mountain. It was an incredible view, 1950 meters!

Staying at Izchalyuma, this sweet hostel, we got amazing massages and had a wunderbar dinner (it vas very german...) After Vilcabamba, we met up my friend Jason in Loja for lunch and then took a bus back to Yantzaza. When we got here, we met up with Chris and his girlfriend Emily, had some street meat with them and Grigs joined us later. It was a great little gringo get together, and we were definitely attracting attention. The highlight for Dan that night was hoping in the back of a pick-up and taking a spin around the block to this disco we went to. The disco was afull of screaming girls, waiting for Jhonatan Luna, some cover singer. The girls were screaming like when I saw Ricky Martin for the first time, but this chico was merely singing cover songs. Dan is now deaf in his right ear. But I got to show off some of my merengue moves :-)

Now we are just hanging out; took him to some local bars, we ate frog yesterday, and went to the pool and waterslide in Zumbi today. He is here until Wednesday and then we are heading back to Guayaquil so he can fly back to BORING USA. Hahahaha. So far, I think he likes it, says it is nothing like what he expected, but I said you really cannot expect anything when coming down here.

So far the things he has noticed:
1. Massive amounts of honking...everyone honks for no reason, but I say, why not?
2. Cold showers....I say, whats the big deal?
3. Tsss tsss tsss....the totally effective and PC way of calling to a hot girl...

Now I am hoping Dan will provide some insightful observations of his own that we can all reflect on. Slash...I hope more of you will decide to come visit now.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

porque no?? haha Corrie, I know Dan might not want to hear this, but people are honking b/c you are freaking hott and they want you to know it! duh. I hope Dan is having as much fun as I did! You are an amazing hostess and an even better friend, I love you!!

Anonymous said...

oh corrita! loved the Ricky Martin reference...brings back fond memories of you, me, Adriana, and my mum at the concert going loco!
Your brother came over on the weekend it was lovely to have someone to feed - I made plum cobbler and homemade gelato. He brought us a bag of unilever goodies from his new job, it was wonderful, or should I say onederful? (hey that's onetters!) Speaking of movies, did you hear that they made a tv show based on "10 things I hate about you" ? OMFG I'm mildly addicted. You should check it out if you can access it online. Of course it could never live up to the original, but it's mindless brain candy.
anyway gotta bounce - mum and I are off to Italy tomorrow with crazy aunt Nadia.
love, hugs, and presidential flashcards,
~the fuzzy one

Elayne said...

Corrie, It was thrilling to read your blog while Dan is still there. What a wonderful friend, tour guide, and ambassador you are! We can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories. Dan's mom.

Scott said...

I would honk my car horn for you, Corrie.

While my schedule doesn't give me enough time to take off to SA, I will have time to visit with you when you visit the states! Well, if DVA allows it.

Anonymous said...

Im glad you enjoyed Dan's trip, Corrie. I wish I could come down and see some of these often mentioned sights and people. Missing you lots & lots!
~Anna Grace