Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Whoa...sorry for the delay....

I´ve been a really bad blogger lately....sorry about that. Things have been coming up lately, so I haven´t had time to sit down and write, also I was waiting to post pictures that I have!!!

So the wedding, which was July 4th, was really cool. It was a great experience and I am really grateful to my friend Yesenia for inviting me. Here is a little summary of the weekend, as it was full of fiestas and gringo-ness, and wedding excitement.

I went to Vilcabamba with everyone Saturday, ate lunch there, then sped back up to Loja to get all dolled up for the wedding. It was the wedding of my friend from Zamora, who´s a dentist. She and her roommate threw me a birthday party, I´ve crashed at her house a couple of times...BUENA GENTE. Anyway, I was really excited to go to a wedding of a good friend. I took Little Brown Sugarwith me, he met up with me in Loja.

I got my hair done...like prom style (it cost $4!!!) and then my nails done. I got a pedicure too...thought why not. And it was great...my feet were disgusting though...with all the campo hiking and sandals; the poor woman was scrubbing away and cleaning my feet for almost an hour and a half! Pobrecita.Then I did my makeup (yea...I did it!) and we went to the wedding. My friend Lorena was there with her BF (Lorena is Yesenia´s roommate). I´m really glad she was there because I didn´t know anyone...i thought my friends from Zamora would go but they didn´t show up. The church was gorgeous...got to take a lot of pictures with them.Then they had the reception in this GORGEOUS building. It was like brand new, at the Civil Engineers Professional Association. Incredible...served an amazing dinner. Super fancy....I was glad I got my hair done and dressed up; the women were totally decked out. They all looked like Beauty Pagent contestants. But Brown Sugar and I danced (he was a little agua fiestas though...didn´t want to dance as much as I wanted too :-( I went to Chris´s house just the other night to visit him, and I was telling his family about him and the wedding. Then Chris´s host sister, Maria, pipes up and says Cori, hay más que un burro en la loma (lit: There is more than one donkey on the hill. HAHAH! I was laughing so hard, their version of ¨there are more fish in the sea¨ type of deal...)

At times, I felt a little awkward, but I´m getting more and more used to feeling that way. They called me up to get in line for the presentation of the garter...each girl single girl had to give a number, and they gave out three garters. I unfortunately didn´t get one. Oh well...I´m in no rush to get married.

Here are some pictures! I am also posting some of the infamous Tortilla. She is a great cat...I feel bad leaving her by herself during the day, but she is really starting to get to know me and recognizes me over strangers. So my little mija is becoming my own!

Oh, PS: I just got a bike! I found one in the back of my building and I asked the landlady if I could borrow it. It was missing a pedal and needed a new chain and seat and a new tire. So I took it down the street and a guy fixed it up for me for $37! So I got a bike for less than $40!! It´s great, especially at night when I don´t want to walk up to my apartment by myself.

The church, San Jose. It´s a little dark, but this place was gorgeous, very similar to an American church.

Lorena, Yesenia, Mario and Me. I did have heels on...big mistake. Brown Sugar was not happy since I was towering over him, but whatever. Fashion overrides all here!


Las damas or bridesmaids. They all have to be single in order to be in the bridal party, hence the fact they all look/are 16-year-old. Orange (or the Ecua-orange as I like to call it) was her bridal color, in case you hadn´t noticed...


Me and Panelita....man, I am WHITE...or is he just really BROWN sugar???

The reception, with the same Ecua-orange. It was absolutely amazing this venue (and this picture is just about a quarter of the space it was in). I seriously felt like I was in the US. They had this fancy-shmancy dinner, nice white wine. And then for the after dinner drink: scotch.





My hair. Held up nicely for two days...I think she put enough hairspray...enough to make the movie ¨Hairspray¨ embarassed. Which does not equal the gel the guys use in their hair (Brown Sugar being one of them). It´s called Moco de Gorilla or Gorilla Snot...no joke. And the guys LOVE that stuff.

My little Tortilla! She´s about two months old, I think.

Me and the Tortilla. She loves to play fútbol.



Last but not least, Tommy the Weiner Dog. This little guy is always running around Zamora and finally I got to take a picture of him. He cracks me up, this pobrecito got his name painted to him! Well, at least we know which one is Tommy! (Tommy Scott, thought you might appreciate this one)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics Cor!My little grandkitty needs a little more meat on his bones, I fear.See what you can do about that.Did we tell you Follow ran away for 4 days while we were in WI? Doing her muffin thing with her other family, we fear.I loved the bridemaids dresses too. Very "Diana Ross and the supremes"!
Love you, Mammmaaa

Anonymous said...

Corrita! tortilla is super cute, beyond super cute!
big hugs my friend!
love,
the furry one

aunt sheshie said...

I agree with Mom, that kitty needs a little more meat on his bones! Sounds like a care package needs to be sent! Love the Tommy weiner dog!
love you.

Anonymous said...

While a PCV in Chicana, I was invited to two weddings that were totally opposite the wedding you went to. The ones I went to were in San Juan (tiny, tiny village near Chican) and some tiny, tiny village across the river from Los Encuentros), and very very basic and rustic. At both weddings, dinner was served in shifts at one small table, so when it was our turn to eat we all had to eat standing up around the table. At both weddings, some guy served people wine in a box into a plastic cup that we all shared. People showed up wearing those infamous rubber boots and looked like they just came from the finca. Either way, both weddings were great fun and involved lots of dancing until late night/early morning.

Scott said...

What a pretty wedding. Lovely shade of peach on those chairs at the reception. Hoo-ray on your theory to stay single for a while. Foolish to be in a rush where 50% of people lose half of their stuff anyway. You should be in a rush to come visit the states though.

Feed the kitty; it kinda looks like you. Probably has claws and all. SIKE...isn't that what you say?

Is brown sugar the current dude?

Kristi said...

hey lady!! you look so gorgeous in your pics, and so happy!! I miss you so much! I'm glad you have a cat, now we can be cat ladies together haha, even if we are on different continents.
LOVE YOU!

Cole said...

I just remembered the 'There are more fish in the sea" thing I put in your locker!

Anonymous said...

Corrie,
Love the pictures! You look beautiful all dolled up like that! Hey, maybe I should have traveled down to Ecuador to get my hair done for Homecoming! I tried curling it, but as we all know the uck I have with my hair, i just fell right out within 10 minutes. *sigh....
Stay beautiful Corrie :),
Anna Banana

joanexodo said...

Hi I am Joan, Panelita friend's Is so great to know you, He told me about You and I was looking some pictures about my city and I found your web.
Hola por cierto tu si entiendes espanol chever ver a los anos a la Panelita muy buen amigo me lo saludas a todos a la Amenaza al Chucu al Suco y al Cacheton la gallada de los Chavales espero q estes bien ahy en Yantzaza q es una belleza de ciudad y como vi la cerveza es lo q mas te gusta espero y sigas poniendo mas fotos de Yantzaza suerte y cuidate