Monday, August 24, 2009

Colombian Billards

Ahh the Colombians...the black (literally) sheep of Ecuador. They are loved yet feared and loathed at the same time (sound like a minority population in the US?)

Yantzaza´s Colombian population, however, is probably the biggest in the area. With the allure of mining in Zamora Chinchipe, and a large number of foreign companies setting up shop in this little nook of Ecuador, a bunch of Colombians have come to live here. They mostly stay for a week or so, leave for the mines for a month, and then come back to rest up for a week before leaving again.

There are a lot of Colombians in my neighborhood, so I´ve gotten to know some of them. Two dashing young lads happen to live in the apartment above me. Duber and Diner, no joke....they are cousins, are really cool little Colombians that have been here about 3 years. After hanging out on the front bench the last few days, they invited me for Duber´s birthday celebration. I was a little nervous because they said they were going to the Billars, which is the Colombian Billard hall hangout.

Now, I have no beef with the Colombians...they have all been really nice to me. Here, people are just really skeptical of their actions, whether or not they are dangerous, etc. Colombia is a lot more dangerous than the comparative comatose Ecuador, but that doesn´t always mean the country breeds bad people. Ecuadorians tend to give a second look when the two minority groups of the town are hanging out together, especially because we are both so noticable.

So I get a little dolled up and we walk, the three of us, down to the pool hall. I was nervous because I didn´t want a lot of people saying stuff about me...like oh the gringa is with the colombians, etc. We reached the swinging doors, and I coyly stepped in, wondering what these dark faces were going to think about the whitest face in Yantzaza stepping onto their turf. No one said anything, it was like those movies where you hear background music, one sole pool ball hitting the table, and everyone just looking up at the one foreign object that entered the door. I was like AY DIOS, and my stomach did 10 flips. Duber and Diner were leading me in with big smiles, telling me it´s ok...I guess they could tell I was nervous. And then this girl Lydia came over and started talking to me, the owner of the bar. She was really cool and I was able to whip out my ¨Cori¨ Spanish personality (as most say I act differently in Spanish...). She was super cool and chatted me up.

Felt a little looser as some came over and shook my hand, wanting to get to know me. Duber and Diner taught me how to play their pool (shooting the number 7-15 in order). But it was funny because as we were playing Diner turns to me and is like, wow look at this, this is the ¨extranjero bar¨ or bar for foreigners. Once he said that I chuckled to myself and thought, wow he´s really right. In a sense, I felt a lot more comfortable because we were all away from our homelands, here in Ecuador on a mission.

As the night went on, more Colombianos trickled in and out. It was the first time in a while I have felt really out of my element. I feel more and more local everyday, yet this time I had to stretch myself again, just like I would have a year ago. But I was glad for this experience, another wake up call for me, and another way for me to appreciate how integrated I have become.

I am now accepted into the Colombian way; just add that one to the list...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

corrita! sounds like you continue to have an amazing time. just wanted to send you a little love *love*.

So I'm back in portland, I've gotten settled into my beautiful new house with my awesome housemates. It's in a lovely neighbourhood with beautiful quirky houses with big gardens and lots of big trees. I'm super excited for classes to start. I'm taking intro anthro, modern european humanities, advanced technique and composition(a dance class,) and gender and family (a history class.) I bought a beautiful bicycle, a cruiser that I've named Heloise - she's adorable.
anyway, hope all is well with you! *big big hug*
love,
danielle

Scott said...

Interesting post to read, Corrie. Funny to hear how racial differences are still somehow woven into the fabric of life down there. I thought of you the other day when I learned 1400 people would lose their job at one of the big industrial plants here...just to watch their jobs go to Mexico because the labor was cheaper; lots of comments about Mexico-this and Mexico-that talk followed. I know you don't live in Mexico, but after reading your story, it seems like you live in a are where cultural differences are somewhat embraced...while in the U.S...change in that respect is slow. This in the "land of the free."

Anonymous said...

proud of you.

-ace

Anonymous said...

does this mean you have become a great pool player?
~Anna