Friday, April 3, 2009

My shower is on fire

It´s been a weird week.

Sunday the new volunteer arrived that will be working in Zumbi. Her name is Karlin, from New York City, and we´re pretty similar actually. Really cool and down to earth. I think she might be a little nervous about living so far south, but it´s going to be a great experience and I think she´ll do a lot of great things. Anyway, she got here and it was REALLY REALLY hot and sunny. We managed to finnagle a few beers out of some guys (ok, ok I wanted to show off my gringa-can-get-beer skills...) and walk around town. It was a nice afternoon. Then Ecuador played Brazil in the World Cup trials and that was a lot of fun. She got to meet a lot of the locals, who are all now in love with her, and experience Yantzaza culture.

Overall, it was a good visit. She stayed until Wednesday and then had to go back and finish training. She´ll be back for good in May.

Then Monday I was playing basketball with some locals and got whacked in the eye...so now I have a huge black eye. Everyone thinks someone hit me, which is kinda sad that they automatically assume that and don´t take my story about basketball for real....But it´s fo real. So I´ve been walking around like Million Dollar Baby all week...

Then on Tuesday, I had had a long day and all I wanted to do was take a shower. So I get in...everything is fine. It was acting weird, the water pressure, but I figured it was because there was a landslide the week before and all the water tanks got knocked out where I live. So I get out of the shower and the shower head lights up like a freakin´ light blub...I was like huh...I didn´t know there was a light in my shower. And then two seconds later it BURST INTO FLAMES! I was like oh...my...dios... It was seriously like one of those demon children in the movies that spontaneously combust. Swear to god.

So I run outside in my towel (do I dress, do I save myself...what do I do?) And yell to my neighbor that my shower is on fire. She´s running back and forth like a crazy lady like OMG what do we do?!?!? I´m running around naked in my towel....oh gawd. She turned off the electricity and we had some guy splash water on the shower head, but I didnt want to do that since it was an electric fire... But it was ok...I don´t have a shower head now...but whatever. I guess the wires that heat the water were faulty and decided to BURST INTO FLAMES. So it´s been an interesting week needless to say. My neighbor Rosario tells me its because of my cachos or horns...aka I´m a sinner. But she´s just joking...at least I think she is....

Therefore I´ve decided to take a little holiday and am in Loja for the weekend. I hope these aren´t signs that I need to leave or change apartments because I really like them. I am just taking them as a bad luck week, so next week better be AMAZING.

4 comments:

Scott said...

All of your posts have innuendo. Busting shower heads? Oh Corrie...

Anonymous said...

I didn't have hot water till the last few months of my Peace Corps days in Chicaña.

sheshie said...

I hope you were running around in a grandma monogrammed towel!! So glad it didn't burn your booty!

Anonymous said...

Haha! (No offense but I can just see you freaking out like you did when you hit the deer in my dad's car! Hahaha, jk!)
Love, love, love, love,
Anna Banana