Thursday, April 9, 2009

And you all know just how much I love fish

Semana Santa= week before Easter = no meat = all you eat is fish

No joke. And you all know just how much I love eating fish. However, I´ve become a big girl while living on my own down here and have learned how to appreciate a nice filet o´ tilapia.

Not much is going on for Semana Santa, mostly food choices change and there seems to be a lesser amount of drunks roaming the street, which is always good. Basically the menu includes fish: fenesca, a soup with fish and grains including corn, beans, peas, all mixed into a thicker broth. Quite tasty and this is what they eat Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Then the segundo or second dish, is rice (of course), with yuca and salted fish. The fish I´ve had has been WAY over salted, but they like their salt down here. Having eaten fish for the past 4 days straight, I am very proud of myself. However, I can´t look at another pescado again until at least Semana Santa 2010.

Tuesday was World Health Day, so I spent the day in Zamora at a health fair the Ministry of Health held. It was heavily attended......syke...no one came. So what did we do? Drink of course! They all cracked open their Pilsener bottles at 11 am (I mean, only an hour until lunch break...) Then in the afternoon there were juegos and the boys of the Minsitry of Health played the doctors in the hospital in a nice friendly game of indoor soccer. (In indoor they use a smaller ball, smaller court, and less players). It was great watching the guys...until a fight broke out at the end. This was the last place I was expecting to see two grown, well-educated men fight. But I guess indoor gets the best of us. Apparently one of the doctors ¨intentionally¨ kicked one of the doctors who works for the Ministry and they just full on went at it. Fists were flying, shirts were ripped, tempers were high. But then they had a beer and calmed down. All is well in health care. As the other docs were saying ¨¡Es el dia de salud! ¡El dia de salud, hombre!¨ (It´s health day....health day, man!)

Well knowing that, why can´t all the world´s problems be solved on World Health Day?

2 comments:

Scott said...

I love eating fish, too, for the record. Fish tacos, especially. Nothing like whippin' out a toothpick after a delicious meal.

I'm most likely hanging out with Mike Johns tonight. I'll pinch him hard for you.

Anonymous said...

Corrie-
I think only health can be helped on World Health Day. Maybe not problems, but hey! don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Love you 1300000000 skittles,
Anna