Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ley Seca?! More like Ley Let´s Drink More

So before I forget, I was just getting my nails did at a beauty salon and the women were all gathered around this one girl. My interest was peaked and I peeked over--they were ¨waxing¨ this chicks moustache with PACKING TAPE. Then three more women followed suit and were all joining in on the packing tape party. I mean, whatever gets the job done, I guess. That was my funny episode of the day (my nails cost $3 by the way; little flowers painted on them...so cute).

Now the campaigning is finally over and elections are on Sunday. This weekend is ¨Ley Seca¨ or Dry Law (literally) and no one is allowed to drink, I guess you have to be in a sober state of mind to vote...which is probably a good thing, as there have been more drunks during elections than I´ve seen during fiestas. However, some have told me they get MORE drunk during Ley Seca than other times...not sure how that works. I guess it´s not as strongly enforced or monitored (they put you in jail if you are caught drinking...but apparently drinking in the house is somewhat ok...)

Thursday night was the last night of campaigning, so at midnight none of the parties were allowed to campaign, no more campaign songs on the radio (thank Dios!) and no more parades. I spent Thursday night in Zamora, as I decided to have a little b-day bash with my gente from Zamora. I made tacos (big hit!) and we jammed in my friend Yesenia´s apartment. There were only 8 of us and we danced until about 11 pm. It was funny because this is my first birthday in a foreign country and my first away from College Park (well for the past four years at least...). And the party most DEFINITELY had a different atmosphere. It was not your typical Corrie party--no gin bucket, no buckets full of Natty Light, no rap music blasting. Instead it was a jabba (crate) of Pilsener, salsa and merengue playing, and a few indigenous doctors rocking out with us. But definitely fun.

Yesenia´s apartment looks out over the river walk that Zamora recently built and a lot of public gatherings are held there. The political party, MAS, was closing their campaign that night and brought a great band, Los Búfalos. Everyone was telling me they are like Kiss, with the crazy clothes and long hair. They were right, the lead singer rocked a leopard jacket (in this heat?!) and the lead guitarist was sporting a fetching red plaid kilt. However they played Spanish cover songs all night...it was great though. So we danced on her balcony all night. Then at 3 am went down to salsa with the crowd. I have definitely improved my salsa and merengue skills, so expect that to be playing at my wedding, folks ;-) Just kidding....but seriously....

At 4 the party sadly ended and we went up to sleep for a mere three hours before going to work. Woo wee I was chuchaki! But it was a great night. They all got me gifts--little Shuar and Saraguro bracelets and the girls got me this AWESOME silk scarf. I was really touched that they all thought of me. I now feel like one of them, that I am really part of this community. It was definitely a ¨wow, I´m glad I´m in Peace Corps¨ moment.

Can´t wait to see what the elections bring on Sunday. That´s all everyone is talking about. And hopefully Ley Seca sticks, yesterday I had some youths invite me for a beer....no gracias, chicos.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Excessive drinking = not family friendly.

sheshie said...

should I be sending extra packing tape in my care packages so you can start a little side business???

Manal said...

no gin bucket?!?!

Anonymous said...

Corrie-
I've seen my share of red skin after waxing (going to nail salons as often as I do! Yeah right!) and the upper lip of that girl must have been preeety red if they used packing tape!
L.O.V.E.,
Anna