Monday, December 8, 2008

Thank Jesús.... del Gran Poder!

DIOS MIO! I am in my apartment! Woo hoo! It´s been a long wait, but well worth it.

The barrio I live in, Jesús del Gran Poder (lit. Jesus of the Greatest Power) is up the hill from the center of town, super close, and really chill. There are many amazing things about this apartment. Of them:
-I don´t have to use a flashlight when I have to pee at night; my bathroom is IN my apartment
-I can cook without Polivio bugging me about ¨gringo food¨
-I don´t wake up to Aventura or the next-door neighbor karoaking at 5 am
-I can decorate what I want and where I want
And the best part goes to....
NO MORE CROSSING THE BRIDGE! I am sad to say, Mr. Puente, I will not be crossing you anymore and no more will I have to say the Hail Mary 30 times while crossing it.

It´s super cute, got all my pictures up, got my cocina running and my gas all hooked up. I even sewed! Super proud of myself, I sewed a curtain for my bathroom and two pillows! It took me all afternoon yesterday, but I had nothin better to do. Considering I had to re-teach myself what I learned from Mrs. Cindy Light in 7th grade in Home Economics, I did a pretty good job.

Last week we had an intercambio with the FODI in the province of Bolívar in Salinas de Guaranda. My best friend from training, Miriam, is there so we got to hang out a little bit. Her site is cold! It really made me appreciate the amazon! I had to go to Quito beforehand because I lost my cell phone and then take 3 more buses to Guaranda...I spent more time in the bus than I did walking around (At least 20 hours in a bus that day...) But I got my phone and made it just in time for karoake with the FODI girls. It was ridiculous! Miriam and I blasted out Stevie Wonder´s I Just Called to Say I Love You and got a standing ovation. It was horrible.

But they love their karoke here....

So I missed all of the intercambio-ness due to my side trip to Quito. But I made it for karoke, bonding, and cheese and chocolate tasting. It was an expensive trip, but well worth the bonding experience and the memories.

PS: Pictures of the apt. to come....my camera is on the fritz...

4 comments:

Kristi said...

MAH! Corrie I can't wait to see pics of the apartment!!!! Your charlas sound crazy, and school just sounds like camp. KUMON is nothing like what you described and its the closest experience I can muster up... what is with little kids and stickers?! There was this one girl i had who didn't make her goal and she got super upset and it turned out to be about STICKERS. WHAT is that all about. p.s. everyone makes me do my sarah palin impression (STILL) at the place i waitress. its almost ruining it for me. um. i miss you.

love,

Anonymous said...

Corrie,

how are you???

Jungle Lauren

Anonymous said...

HEY CORRIE!
How are you 'cuz? You sound like you're having so much fun! I send you and your family my best wishes and piles and piles of love. I got some really great CDs for my birthday and was wondering if you have a CD player in your new fancy shmancy apartment!
Loving you at every moment,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Te quiero. Yo quiero queso. - Scott