Monday, December 15, 2008

I´m becoming so handy!

Well I finally fixed my camera! Just put a little scotch tape here, a little there...and wham! I´ve realized that I need to stop thinking everything is final...like OMG! MY CAMERA IS BROKEN! Well, Corrie, why don´t you try to fix it? Like my toilet, when I first moved in. It wasn´t working and I was like freaking out and I didn´t want to bug my landlady. But I got the cajones to go out and buy a plunger and actually fix the toilet myself. And what do ya know...the dang thing works! Anyway, I´m taking this third world opportunity to become more handy. Everyone else here is a Juan of All Trades, so why can´t I be a Juanita?

As promised, here are pics of the new pad!


Here is the bedroom...with my AWESOME GRINGA BED! Note the pillows, I sewed them, thank you very much. Gotta have props to my Terps (hence the blanket) and my wall of fame.


My cocina. A little unorganized, but it´s getting there. Have to light my stove everytime I use it, and yes, I am cooking. Note the nice curtain, which I sewed as well, leads to the bathroom.

Last but not least, my sala. This is basically my living room/party room/kitchen/reading room in one. I am faltar-ing a table, but I have 6 of these stump chairs which are awesome. I want to have every visitor sign them, too. SO COME VISIT! That ¨window¨ looks into my bedroom, but the door and other window is to the right. On the first floor, so it´s quite convenient.

Met my little neighbor boys, they´re really cool. Elvis and Carlos...and then there is they baby who they refer to as papito so not sure of his real name. Everyone is really nice though and my landlady has my espalda.

This weekend I had the great opportunity of judging a Christmas Princess contest in a Shuar community. The whole day we were up in Tuntiak, one of the FODI communities, celebrating Christmas with them. In the morning, there was a soccer competition...the FODI women versus the moms. I was by far the biggest person playing, of course, and I am not good at soccer. But I thought I would have at least some sort of advantage with these women. So wrong. They were so strong and tough, oh man I was afraid I was going to hurt them but towards the end I was more afraid they were going to hurt me! So many times I wanted to yank those long, black Shuar ponytails but I had to keep my cool. We lost horribly...I had more attempts than any FODI girl, but we lost 2-0. It was kinda embarassing.

Someone asked what the gringa was doing here and someone responded ¨Oh, ella es de otra planeta.¨ ( She is from another planet...) Gee thanks, guys.

We rushed back to Zumbi to shower and eat some merienda. Man, I was sweaty! We played at like 12:30 in a completely open cancha....ridiculous heat.

After beautifying, we hurried back up to Tuntiak so that we could have to princess competition. I was so excited, but nervous. The girls were adorable...4 and 5 years old. We had to judge them on traditional Shuar dance, bathing suit, evening gown and Christmas message. Hahah....so adorable! Half of them chickened out too!

After I crowned the princess, yes, I crowned her because I had to buy the crown, there was a big baile. It was probably the best baile that I´ve been too. Danced until 2 am and then trekked home. GREAT FIESTA!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make your bed!!! I am so proud!! Great digs actually. Mary Tyler Moore's first apartment wasn't this cute. See you soon.
Mammmmaaa

Anonymous said...

Aw cute pictures!!! <3 you!

Anonymous said...

Great apartment. What, no tequila posters or hot equador male pictures on the walls?
Congrats on your first apartment!

Anonymous said...

Corrie,
I knew you would have your own apartment eventually. Us Molos need our place to chill and whatever else we like to do. I'm very proud to say that my oldest cousin has her first apartment ON A DIFFERENT CONTINENT!! WAHOOO! Congats Corrie.
Sending all my love into cyberspace but especially for you,
Anna

Anonymous said...

I didn't make your picture wall of fame!