Sunday, December 21, 2008

¡Feliz Navidad!

Christmas is in full swing down here on the equator...and with this heat I hardly even noticed the holiday season was in effect. There are some Christmas lights and trees scattered throughout Yantzaza but I never realized how much I associate the holidays with the weather...until now, where I live in eternal summer.

This past week I have been ridiculously busy. I have been preparing for the VAN FAM to land in Ecuador (Tuesday they get down to my neck of the woods!!) and also preparing for this charla my Dad and I are going to give. Funny, I know. But we´re going to make a ¨gringo day¨ for the doctors on the 29th; he´ll talk about healthcare in the US and I am going to give a schpeal on PR in health. Should be interesting!! They are even making invitations and diplomas for those who attend!

So I was busy with that earlier in the week and then the past three days I´ve been busy with FODI going to all of the communities and handing out toys and caramelos to the kids. We managed to stuff almost 500 bags of candy, which is tradition to give to children down here. They stuff bags with animal crackers, chocolate bars, candies, toffees, wafer cookies...the works. I was thinking that I wished we got these instead back in the US...it´s kind of like a Christmas version of Halloween. But it was great seeing the kids all excited, the Alcalde (mayor) handed out the toys---dolls for girls and a truck for the boys (how stereotypical...)

Friday we were in one of my favorite communities, San Pablo, and they were all excited because the Christmas Princess elections were that night, followed by a big dance. I was stoked too, I was in the mood for some dancin´....So I get all dolled up, even wear a dress and attempt to straighten my hair, even though it got ridiculous as soon as I stepped outside. So I get on the bus and it starts POURING...like jungle downpour. When I arrived at the baile, there wasn´t any electricity! There wasn´t any in the whole canton, nor in Yantzaza...so I waited it out and left after 45 minutes (after it flashed on and then off for like 10 minutes). So sad, the princesses were so cute :-(

Yesterday we went to three communities and therefore had to eat THREE almuerzos...three chicken soups and three plates FULL of rice with chicken. I had to take a walk when I came back, I was so full. Even thinking about rice makes me wanna barf...they are so generous with their food here and with our presentation of gifts came MAD presentation of food...so we had to eat everything. Towards the end, the FODI girls were putting the food in fundas or doggie bags and taking it home with them.

Oh and the last community, San Francisco, a largely Saraguro Kichwa community, busted out the leche de tigre...which I don´t know if I´ve metioned this already, but it´s gross. It´s basically warm milk with liquor. Echh. And I had to serve it, which means I went around the room, poured everyone a shot and with each shot they took, I had to take one too. Yummy! And on a completely full stomach too...but I did get a little happy as they like to say down here. So it wasn´t half bad.

It´s been great celebrating Christmas with everyone down here and witnessing their ways of celebration. Nativity scenes, by the way, are a staple in every home/school/FODI center...they out a lot of emphasis on the Nativity...as well they should since that is what Christmas is about. (And I think our consumerism tends to make us forget that...)

Thank you all for those who have sent Christmas/Holiday gifts and wishes. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and I wish you all very merry holidays. The fam´s gonna be here in 2 days!!! Can´t wait!! I probably won´t write until after they leave, since we´ll be busy exploring. That will be an interesting blog posting...

Feliz Navidad and Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas my dear Corrie!! I hope Santa brings everything you want. Peace maybe? May God bless you every second and support your "quest"!!!
Merry Christmas and millions of holiday wishes!
Anna

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Cor-Cor. Enjoy your time with the family. We miss you! It's going to be a beautiful white christmas in Chicago this year. It snowed all day today (3-5 inches) on top of the 10-12 we got last Friday! Feliz Navidad xoxo

Anonymous said...

did you get my letter and estickers?
merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

My mom's right about the white Christmas this year. I miss your family coming to visit, forgetting a snow brush, and having to buy yet another one. Hope you have a very merry Christmas! Love you! ~Manda

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Corrie dear!