Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Riding on the back of a truck+Andes Mountains= INCREIBLE

This weekend was quite the adventure and so much happened, I don´t know if I will be able to fit it all in a single blog post. For this one, I think I´m just going to break everything down by days and if you are craving for more, I can expand. (I am still in the process of trying to get my camera hooked up, so be patient with pictures. Also, sorry if this is a little long...)

FRIDAY the 4TH: Went to a bull fight (totally American) and watched about 40 Ecuadorians try to fight a bull. Hilarious. Sat above the ring, drank some GIANT beers. One bull died on the spot as it came tearing out, we think it had a heart attack...

SATURDAY the 5TH: After puking all night (bad food at some point) climbed on a bus to Otavalo (site of the largest market in South America). We visited a traditional medicine center where we learned how the indigenous cure.Two girls in our group were "read" by an ancient indigenous woman waving an egg over her body; the other experienced a cuy reading where she shook a cuy all over her until the cuy was dead. Then skinned and disemboweled the cuy to see what was wrong with Darci. All she could find was back pain (she had been carrying a back pack all day)...take it for what you will. I believed it...
Then we went to the town of Juncal after lunch, an Afro-Ecuadorian community. Children greeted us, wearing only shirts and underwear (no shoes or pants), very poor area. We gave a charla on hand washing, without water or soap, but I think it was good overall. Incredible people, despite the poverty. Juncal is where most soccer players are "born", one playing for Manchester United.
Then went to our hostel, a "spa" in the middle of nowhere and got to chill in a hot tub! Then SLEEP!!!

SUNDAY the 6TH: This was the most amazing day I´ve experienced so far. Visited Mascarillas, another Afro-Ecua. town of former slaves. They now produce African masks to bring in more money and connect with their African roots. Located in the Valle de Chota, a largely African area. We then piled into the back of a camioneta (truck with a flat bed surrounded by wood, good for transporting people) and drove THROUGH THE ANDES to another volunteer´s community of Santana. Absolutely incredible drive; when I get sad, I will think about this drive. Steve (current volunteer) showed us his town of Afro-Ecuadorians, as well. Incredibly poor, but even more incredible people. One family even named their newborn after Steve---Esteve Junior (pronounced Esteve but it´s Steve..and no it´s not his). I hope to achieve this type of impact in my community some day...
We gave a nutrition charla to the women in the community, went really well. Then piled back into the camioneta for yet another incredible drive. Watched Motorcycle Diaries...everyone needs to see that movie. It´s incredible and it´s very reflective of what I´m going through right now.

MONDAY the 7th: Visited one of our trainer´s site in Ibarra. She works in a hospital in a red zone--meaning it is pretty dangerous and there is a high delinquency rate. Fascinating work being done there regarding sexual and reproductive health.

Overall, this was a really inspiring weekend and I am so anxious to find out what my site is. I definitely consider working in an Afro-Ecuadorian community...there is so much need and the people are just amazing. So giving, yet they have so little. I am feeling my prescence is needed more and more each day; whether it is for selfish reasons or not, I am still figuring it out.

2 comments:

gregoryderek said...

Hey sweetie!
How Cool?
We can't wait to have you show us what your life has become.
Stay Safe,
Mammma

Anonymous said...

So, when you were driving through the Andes mountains...did you think of Uncle Bruce and wish you were eating a box of Andes Mints?
We're so glad to hear about all your adventures. Stay Safe.
we love you
Aunt Sheshie