Wednesday, July 2, 2008

OMG! We´re getting hijacked....SYKE

¡Buenos Dias!

Ok...don´t get too worried about the title of this blog..it was all a simulation. Yesterday was a group day for training, so all 32 of us were together and we had a big lecture on safety and security. It definitely gets a little repetitive at times, but is really important nonetheless. How many times do I have to hear about wearing your bag close to you or not carrying valuables??

Anyway, after the speech they all gathered us outside and we boarded a bus, which I can´t believe they rented for this simulation, but that´s besides the point. We get on the bus and my friend Casey and I are sitting in the way back, goofing around and talking. We made friends with this guy Jose...hoping he wouldn´t feel the urge to rob us. Then all of a sudden, he whistled and three guys stand up with masks on and guns shouting ¨DAME SUS BOLSAS¨ (give me your bags) and shoved our heads down and made us close our eyes. They took all of our stuff and ran off the bus. It was a fake stick-up to demonstrate what we should do, etc. Apparently, if a man is trying to sexually assualt you, you shove your bag in his face insisting that he takes it...sort of a mind game so he gets confused and runs away.

It was quite the bus trip. After we got all of our stuff back, we had cooking classes....a much better way to end the day. It was great! A PCV living close to Peru came up to show us how to make tuna salad with local ingredients (mine was sans tuna, thank you very much!) and how to use a dutch oven, etc. He was a chef in the US before coming to PC so he had a lot of advice and interesting stories to share about local ingredients. It was great because a lot of these tips I´m going to need when I get to site. We also got a mega cook book, too.

Monday we gave our charla to kids on washing their hands, and it went great. The kids really enjoyed it and it was really interesting to see a pre-school in another country. They were pretty obedient and participated well. Today we are giving a charla to adults on hygiene and next week it´s on self-esteem.

This weekend we are going on Tech Trips and will be gone the whole weekend. My group is going to Otavalo, Ibarra and Marscillas. Should be ¡chevre!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how right in the middle of your English oraciónes you suddenly start speaking Español.

Unknown said...

Rizzle! I just read though everything and it sounds like youre having fun! I'm glad everything is working out and i miss you!

Anonymous said...

Corrizle! I miss you already! I just was thinking about you because I'm going to sign up for the fleet feet race. But, I must say after reading all your blogs it sounds like you are the one having a good time. I miss you and you have fun eating your "poor little guinea pigs/tuna salad" and I will have fun eating that amazing cake that was at the finish line of the lady bug race. Can't wait to read more of your blogs. Love Harmonator

Anonymous said...

HEY CORRIE!
its grace. hope that you are having fun down there. yesterday when we went canoeing, maggie rohs was like "where is your sister?" and i was like "umm in equador..." and she was like "where's that?" and i was like "the equator" haha. have fun and if the whole getting buried in the shade thing doesnt work out for me, i could dig (pun intended) the andes. it sounds nice and cool. haha i'll see you at christmas.
loveeeeee,
glen coco