Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Random Bridge Encounters

Everyday I cross this ridiculous puente to and from my barrio. It is probably one of the scariest bridges out there. However, I have gotten to know how to master walking across it; it takes finesse and it´s trickier than you might think. Mostly because I am double the size of the the people that normally cross this, so my feet have to avoid the various gaping holes and loose boards.

Besides the scare factor, I have also come to realize this bridge is the site of many interesting stories for me.

First off, the bridge to Gran Colombia (where all the ¨colombians¨live, and as people say this they do the sign of the cross like it´s a dangerous thing), is big enough for two people, or one and a half gringoes. This morning I realized the only time I´ve actually been in a ¨traffic jam¨ is on this bridge. For example, I was stuck behind an old man wearing a piece of plastic (it was raining pretty hard) and couldn´t quite pass him and his bale of plants on his back. I chuckled to myself as I realized how minor this ¨traffic jam¨is compared to those in DC!

Second of all, I get all sorts of looks when I cross the puente. Just the other day, two guys were sitting and talking and as I approached I literally heard them go ¨Shhh!¨and stopped mid-sentence as I walked by. Seriously....you guys didn´t have to stop talking just for lil´ ol´me!

This last ejemplo is probably my favorite. The bridge is where I, you probably guessed it, get all of my chicos. On Sunday, I came back from a long trip and was schleping a lot of stuff. I noticed the dutiful police (using those words in the lightest sense possible) were ¨checking me out¨slash following me. I continued to walk and then they creepily pulled up next to me and asked me where I was going. Well, seeing it´s 10 o´clock on a Sunday night and I have about 2 weeks worth of laundry, a med kit, and a sleeping bag in my hands-I was thinking the disco! SYKE! Home, I said, to the bridge. They offered a ride, so I figured why not...they´re policemen and behave themselves, right? Oy vey.

We´re driving to the bridge, which should have taken 5 minutes but took 15 because he was so slow. All the while, the one who is driving is telling me how beautiful I am, that I am the prettiest girl ever---riiiighhhttt. Finally, the bridge appears. But no, Mr. Policia wants my number. I was like, aren´t you supposed to be protecting the city or something...he just laughed. Very reassuring. I start to leave and he whines ¨Regalame un beso¨(Lit: Gift me a kiss). I was like whoops, sorry gotta go, the bridge is calling...

Oh and this is the spot where I am always greeted by the town drunk and president, (any correlation?) Washington. He´s a swell guy with a lot of gusto. He knows everyone and so I think it´s a good thing I´m on his side, however I need to watch out when he gets really drunk and wants to talk my ear off. He owns Playa Rica, this awesome ¨beach bar¨that is on the river. Real tranquil spot with a great view of Rio Zamora.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Corrie. Spitting game with the locals. Keep it shaking.

By the way, I was driving through Maryland's campus a couple weekends ago. It was kinda dark, so I couldn't see a lot. Looks pretty quiet there. Not that you care, but at least it fills up your comment section.

Kristi said...

OMG corrie. i'm at the library at SLU right now and i probably look like an idiot because i have this idiotic expression on my face from reading your post. part of me is horrified for you that you are harassed and the other part of me is relating all of your expereinces to mine on this 1-person-wide sidewalk of this bridge I have to cross to walk to campus! ah! weird. men in America seem more subtle and harmless than those in ecuador, though you might not be at a greater risk to be raped or mugged as i am...

Anonymous said...

my dear dear corrita! I just got your letter - it made my life!!!!! thanks so much, it really brightened up my thursday ( which is my longest hardest most evil day) I shall respond soon!
love,
danielle

Anonymous said...

Cor-Cor,
You're the habla of the city!! Those chicos were gossiping about you when you walked past them. I think this city is another one that has fallen in love with your charm, love, and personality. Miss you dearest prima!!
~Ana