Sunday, October 25, 2009

She Wolf

Shakira has hit Yantzaza and has hit it hard. We are now in She Wolf mode.

I realize that this ridiculously addicting song has probably been in the States for a while now, but us down in the jungle are feeling that She Wolf in the armario and letting it out so it can breathe (check out the song if you don´t know what I´m talking about).

Grigs got back last weekend from Quito, where he got a taste of the real world and reality and was able to snatch up the new Shakira CD. I totally underestimated this kid´s ¨great obsession¨ for Shakira. I mean, I´m a great fan...but whoa! Grigs could definitely compete on a MTV quiz show. ANYWAY, he brings this little cd to my attention and it just BLEW ME AWAY! Ha. It´s been a while since I´ve been introduced to new beats...but it´s amazing the ripple effect it has had.

So while we were listening to the new cd in my house, my nosy but adorable little neighbor, Delia, and her friend Stefany, got a hold of it and we just jammed out. They come over two days later, Grigs happened to be there as well, and they had bought the Shakira DVD so we were experiencing the video too! It was a horrible bootleg but great to see the moves Shakira makes, which we quickly imitated, all in hopes of someday being a quarter as sexy as Shakira is.

Side note: Grigs was over in Yantzaza with his guitar, helping me out with a rising rap star. This guy Marco found me on the street and wanted me to help him out with his English, as he is a rapper/reggeaton artist. Normally I say no, because I HATE teaching English, but his story was pretty good and I figured he might have had a good start with English since he knows all the songs by 50 Cent and Eminem. Well, he´s really bad. But Grigs came to jam out and they had a little freestyle session in my apartment which was AWESOME! He also tried to play for lunch money in the park, but people didn´t seem convinced that two gringoes needed lunch money...

So after numerous dance sessions in the cave of Jesús del Gran Poder that is my apartment, I decided to bust out Loba for the girls at my school. On Fridays, I am doing dance and aerobics classes. Friday was my first day, I was kinda nervous but it was so much fun! I was EXHAUSTED after dancing and yelling for 4 hours....it was a great workout. But they all got movin and groovin to Shakira, as well as Daddy Yankee. I need to stock up on more reggaeton...apparently I am missing out on some clutch songs, but I was fairly proud of my collection so far. I am hoping to choreograph a dance, preferrably to She Wolf, for the fiestas of the school in November. Cross your fingers!

And then to top off my She Wolf week, I danced my pompis off to it while at a karaoke with my best friend Sindy.

As Grigs likes to say, we were accomplishing goals 2 & 3 this week (Peace Corps goals of bringing US culture to locals and local culture to the US).

Have a very Happy Halloween everyone! We are off to Cuenca to celebrate, so tune in next week.

5 comments:

Scott said...

Can't say I'm a big fan of Shakira, although I completely understand why people down there love her. Anyway, I love how you found a bad rapper; one of many in this world I'm sure. He should get some education instead of trying rap? At least that's the impression I get from you, which likely valid.

Anonymous said...

Check out Shakira and zumba. All the choreography is done for you and it's a great workout, though no one can move their hips like she can!

Anonymous said...

Corrie, when does your Peace Corps service end? Also, have you been to Chicana at all while serving in Yantzaza? If so, what did you do there and what did you think?

Thanks,
Andre
RPCV Chicana 2003-05

CVA said...

Andre-
I am here until August 2010. We shall see if I decide to stay. I have been to a FODI center in Chicaña, but I haven´t been anywhere else. I am trying to get some people together to go see the waterfalls there. Any suggestions?
-corrie

Anonymous said...

Corrie,

There are a number of people in Chicana that actually give tours of the waterfalls. Since the falls are a bit challenging to get to, without a guide, I suggest you go to Chicana and ask for any of the following people: Robby Quezada (son of Gloria Quezada), Diego Romero, Jesus Orellana (he has a truck and will take people to the falls), or Doris San Martin (she has great contacts with everyone in Chicana). They all know me, so tell them I referred you to them. If you go with a group, everyone should give $1-2 to whomever your guide is. Chicana is doing its best to promote ecotourism and the waterfalls, as well as a number of caves in the area, so your support would really help them.

Thanks,
Andre