Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bye Bye FODI

Well the date has finally arrived, and FODI is no longer the FODI I met a mere year ago. As some of you may know, the organization I worked with in Zumbi, the child care project, has now ended thanks to the new municipal administration. Apparently, that is how politics are here; when one guy leaves, all of his current team leaves with him too. For me, this is has been a very surprising and confusing process. I can understand changing some of the higher up positions, however firing ALL mid-to low-level positions does not make much sense to me. With FODI, the organization and process of everything is very complex. There is a TON of paperwork, not to mention the years of relationships these people have built with the communities, now the new group of FODI has to start from square one.

Everyone did not seemed surprised to know that they were all losing their jobs (not a single person was asked to come back). However, upon this notice none seemed to pressed to find other jobs, either. Most of the personnel are going to stay at home, finish their degrees, or find other avenues within Zumbi. Yeni, the director, did apply for the same position but in Guaysimi, where Chris lives, however was not able to accept it because the new mayor of Zumbi would not let her leave a WEEK EARLY!....needless to say, I think you know how my feelings are towards the new Zumbi administration...

However, despite the tristeza they all found it within themselves to celebrate the end of a great career with the community members they have grown to love. Monday night we trekked up to Natenza, a small community about an hour away, and danced until the wee hours in the centro. It was funny because there were about 15 people in the playroom of this centro, and we were dancing so hard, the CD player kept skipping. If you stopped and listened, you could hear the steady beat of everyone´s feet pounding on the wooden slats that is the floor. It was great seeing everyone celebrate their past years, sad at the same time, too.

Last night was their last official day, so I joined them as they finished their last reports, scrambling to print out pages and pages of statistics and numbers on god knows what. Then the centro in Zumbi invited us for ´the last supper´ of chicken soup. The president, Julia, gave me my bowl and said with great pride, ´es criollo´, which means it´s criollo chicken. It´s a different type of chicken, I´m not too fond of it, but apparently it´s a big deal when they serve you criollo, mostly because it´s more expensive.

Overall, this was a blast to spend the past year with these people. I will never forget them nor what I have learned from them. I am definitely going to miss going into the campo and visiting families, just talking to the moms and learning about Ecuadorian life. Now, it is time for me to pursue other avenues. I am planning on working more with the school and more in Zamora. With wet eyes, it was hard saying goodbye to everyone.

But life must go on.

On an upnote, I leave for Peru tomorrow! My Dad and I are going down to Lima and Cuzco to explore Machu Pichu! Can´t wait! Get excited for some AMAZING pictures!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corrie,

You did not elaborate on what criollo chicken is, other than to say you're not too fond of it.

FYI, criollo chickens are free-range and raised strictly on corn. Their meat is tough because of their truly free-range lifestyle. They are also far more nutritious than the standard 'pollo cubano', which are basically like our farm-factory raised chicken that are fed 'balanceado', injected with anti-biotics and kept enclosed with no walking (that's why their meat is soft).

So enjoy the truly 'free-range' chickens in Ecuador cuz that 'free-range' organic chicken you can buy in the U.S. doesn't even come close since those chickens are given access to open space that's not nearly big enough for them to walk around and get their meat tough.

-- Andre V.
RPCV (Parroquia Chicana, Canton Yantzaza)

Anonymous said...

Andre:
I beg to differ on your assessment of free range US chickens. I work at a farm in Ohio and we raise our chickens free range, They spend their nights in the chicken house for their own protection and then are let the free roam of the farmyard all day.I agree free range is tastier, but not necessarily tougher.Old chickens are tougher, we call them soup chickens, and they are basically layers who are past their prime laying time >2 1/2- 3 years or so and we sell them for less than our free range girls.
Don't want to get into a debate with an Ohio farm mom!
Sincerely, Corrie's Mom

CVA said...

Ok ok you two. Let´s agree to disagree. I think the US and Ecuador both have VERY different standards for meat (ie: have you seen a meat market in Ecuador? Or a cattle farm in the US? Both are very different).

I appreciate both of your comments. I guess I am just not a fan of free-range...I prefer my chicken like MickeyDs chicken nuggets...mmm...with sweet and sour sauce....