Sunday, February 22, 2009

Soaked

Carnaval is in full swing!

Before I get started, I´ll give a little background since a lot of people have been asking about it. Basically, it´s the three day fiesta before Ash Wednesday and it involves just soaking every person in sight, whether they want to or not. You can soak with water balloons, water guns, buckets, silly string, anything is game. It´s actually a blast because old people get in to it too and everything is fair game and no one really gets mad.

Chris and I went to Vilcabamba for a night to de-stress after the doctors left and they were getting all ready...soaking us as we walked by. Then yesterday, when I was walking through Loja, this one military guy was whistling at me...I totally ignored him. Later on I met up with my friend, many of you may know him as ¨The Doctor¨, well I walked by the same guy with him and he totally soaked me with a water gun. Guess I should have flashed him my gringa smile....

Today I met up with my friend from work, Clara, in Zumbi where she lives. Her family invited me over for this awesome lunch and then we went to this new pool the municipio built. It rained like gatos and perros the whole afternoon and when it finally stopped we went over. They apparently just inaugarated the pool yesterday; it has a big blue waterslide like the Evendale pool! I went down it a couple times...it definitely lacked water and those 10 layers of shalack that help make you speed down. So once I got to the bottom I had to push myself with my hands...how Ecua.

The pool was great, though; they normally swim in this river next to the pool, but it has been really contaminated with this construction of the road they have been doing. So it´s pure mud now. I was pretty much the only person in the whole pool who could stand in the ¨deep end¨...hilarious.

Tomorrow are the 4X4 races up the road, so I´m going to try and hit those up if it´s not raining too hard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like Dad may have to challenge that new blue slide. Ever since he won the fourth of July dad's slide contest a few years ago, he can't wait to try another slide out!

Kristi said...

so erica visited carnival in venice this weekend! i am going to have to compare stories, so far all hers has contained was masks and the guy who makes the dough for costco's pizzas!!! i think he was american. weird!! i love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Pools! I bet that is so great to have that when it's so hot, huh Corrie? Have fun prima!
Heart,
Anna
P.S. Don't be ashamed to stand in the deep end-I can for a little bit too!