Monday, January 5, 2009

Well I´m glad we´re not Canadian...

I think for the first time in my life, I have witnessed more Canadian hating than American hating...and I didn´t even think that was possible.

Chris and I had a meeting in Zamora this morning, which we were both really pumped about. We´re supposed to be meeting with one of the doctors about a trash disposal program and possibly talking to Yantzaza about building a landfill instead of using the river as their trash dumping ground. So we got up early to catch the bus and the guy taking our money said he was only going to Panguintza, which is about 15 minutes away. Wouldn´t tell us why he was only stopping there, because it´s not a big town and is an unusual place to stop.

On the way, someone told us there was a strike in the street and people were blocking the road. Here, there are some Canadian mining companies that are scattered throughout the province, looking for gold. With this mining comes contamination and a lot of the indigenous communities are really upset with these companies because they are contaminating the water and the environment. The new constitution that was passed in September outlaws foreign minining companines and allows only local, individual miners. However, this hasn´t been enforced yet and communities around the province are having demonstrations in the streets.

Basically, it´s not a good situation and people are upset...rightfully so. The bus rolled up to Panguintza and we see about 5-10 indigenous Kichwa men chasing a bus full of police officers with rocks in their hands, throwing these rocks at the buses! Chris and I both looked at each other, wondering whether it was a good idea to brave the walk through the road block in order to get to Zamora. We got off the bus, started walking and they started chanting ¨get foreign companies out of here¨ and ¨down with canadian miners!¨ I have to admit, this was probably the first time I was actually scared here. I was really worried they were going to do something to us, but Chris was like ¨just keep walking and smile.¨ So I did. People were throwing rocks in the street, to block our way.

We ran into someone who told us more about the situation and as he was doing this, a friend of mine walked up and said the police were coming from the other direction, but with gas. He suggested we skadaddle. As we were leaving, this indigenous man blew a horn (like from an animal) and everyone started plotting...telling five guys to go up on the hill...it was like a movie. Very bizarre. So Chris and I decided to retreat...it wasn´t worth pushing through and we didn´t know what it would be like at night when we had to return. No one seems to know when this will be over, either.

Looks like I´ll be in Yantzaza and Zumbi for a little while....

3 comments:

kthaulass said...

ah ha I totally got your letter and I totally wrote back like two weeks ago. You prob got it the day you commented. My email is mskwallace@gmail.com

Internet here is awful so I don't get on much.
Holler
At
Me

I'm sure you'll enjoy the letter :)!!!

I miss you like the dickens :x

Anonymous said...

Corrie!
We got your package and I loooove the hat! I would have been great for my NYC trip!
By the way, I'm very happy you were not hit by any rocks. Thant would stink to be injured so early in the New Year!
allllllll my love,
Anna

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not Canadian, Corrie. Glad the family came down for the holidays and whatnot.