Thursday, September 18, 2008

Here...have some bananas

So apparently my last post was popular with the ones who read it. Did not realize that:
A) My comments would be taken so much out of context. Totally didn´t notice that...but thank you to those who called me out on it...I miss you guys.
B) Aunt Sheshie knows/took jello shots?!?! Wow that one almost made me fall off my plastic lawn chair in the internet cafe. Well done.

Moving on. Sunday I was rudely awakened by Polivio, my host dad (who is dying to see a drunk gringa), at 6 am to go to the market. I was like umm can we wait a little...it´s not completely light yet. But no, the crack o´dawn is the way to go. So we rushed over there and spent all of 10 minutes in the market...all of that for nothing? But I guess you need to get there early to get the best pickin´s. We had fried frog legs for breakfast...yumm (and that´s not sarcastic...they are really good!)

Then Monica told me that my job was going to be in Zamora and no longer Yantzaza. Zamora is the capital of the province, about an hour bus ride away or 40 minutes by car. I was pretty surprised because she said I was going to be staying there, overnight. So I packed a bag and jumped in the car. We arrived at where I was going to be staying, with the family of the director of the Health Ministry for the province. First of all, his house has a name..Tzanca. That should have been one indicator of what was to come.

We get there and it´s like a mini nature preserve in a house! He has over 100 animals in this house and it´s absolutely gorgeous. His wife maintains them during the day while he´s away busy managing the health care of the province. Just fascinating the types of moonlighting that goes on here!

Anyway, I was in the kitchen with one of their daughters and in walks this danta which is this bear-like anteater type of animal only native to the Amazon. It was so big! I freaked out! She just calmly walked over with a potato and led it out! It was crazy...apparently it escapes every now and then. Luckily it hasn´t gotten into my room...

So I´ve been staying there and working with the Ministerio de Salud, helping out with some magazines/guides they want to publish as well as various health fairs. This week I just chilled and read a book, but I think it will deal more with what I´m trained to do (more PR activities) in the future.

Yesterday I went back to Yantzaza and stayed there for a meeting in the hospital. In the afternoon I went for a run. My usual route was changed as the road was no longer there, so I had to go a different way. As I tried to cross a ¨babbling brook,¨ if you will, a woman walking yelled at me to go another way. Well, long story short we started talking and I ended up walking with her all the way back to her house. She works in a finca or farm and walks 2 hours each way. I suggested she get a bike. She said that her husband wouldn´t let her because women who ride bikes suggests they want sex....

I´ll let you ponder that one.

We get to her house and she´s like, here...I want to give you some bananas. She takes a plastic bag and puts, swear to god, like 5 pounds of bananas in for me. She was so cool...we had a great conversation and afterwards I was so glad the road had been changed. Moments like that reminded me why I´m here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"She said that her husband wouldn´t let her because women who ride bikes suggests they want sex....I´ll let you ponder that one."

C'mon, Corrie, you used to ride your bike around the neighborhood all the time.

Anonymous said...

oh corrita, my lovely.

I believe the victorians had the same problem with bicycles.

but then again, who needs a bicycle when you have bananas?

glad to hear all is going well with you. I'm listening to some third eye blind, and it makes me think of you.

your blog is a major highlight of my dull academic life, you have such a way with words. I love the images that you create, they are funny and sad and beautiful all at once. I envy you that experience.

what's the weather like in the amazon? toasty hot? have you seen any ROUS's? I saw one today - I was collecting fish traps for biology from the lake that runs through campus. We have nutria which are basically rodents of unusual size. I only caught two fish...and a rather large crayfish. It terrified me out of my wits, everyone laughed.

anyway I have fifty or so pages of Rousseau's "on social contract" to read for tomorrow. blast.
peace, love, and ROUS's
Danielle

Kristi said...

yay! peace corps moment!!! I'm so glad that you are having such positive experiences in a really challenging environment. :-D you are awesome. keep the spirit up and if you can't eat all those bananas, you can freeze them to make banana bread!

Anonymous said...

BANANAS!!!!!!!! Love it, it matches my name!!! JK, lol

XOXOOXOXOXOXOXO,
Anna Banana

Anonymous said...

Corrie...I am learning more about my mother because of your blog. I don't think I've ever considered that she has had jello shots before...

Sounds like you are having an amazing time. I love getting to read about your funny adventures. It's neat to see the difference in cultures.

~Amanda